In this article we take a look at why people might unsubscribe from your database. The common mindset will lead you to believe that unsubscribes can only be a bad thing, but people unsubscribe for a reason, so don’t be disheartened when someone does, just take it as feedback for the next campaign you send.
The most common reasons for unsubscribes:
- No relevance – The person receiving the email no longer has any interest in your email campaigns; maybe they changed jobs or circumstances.
- Gone elsewhere for info – The information you provided wasn’t what they had wanted or they have simply gone elsewhere for what they were looking for.
- Forgotten who you are – They have simply forgotten who you are and what you do. Maybe you haven’t emailed them for a while, or maybe your emails are just not clear on what your business does.
- Too many emails – Have you sent out too many emails in a short space of time? Have you increased from one email a month to one per week? Flooding the subscribers inbox can make them unhappy causing them to unsubscribe.
- Too sales based – Your email campaign was too sales orientated and the reader feels pestered. Maybe they feel like the relationship is a one way street.
- Content is boring or repetitive – If you have sent the same email to your subscribers more than once in a short space of time they could find this annoying and make them wonder if you have nothing new to say or offer.
- Make sure the campaign is relevant to your subscribers’ interests.
- Use the Johnson Box to remind people who you are and what is inside your email. This area is provided at the top of all NewZapp templates for you to insert copy that will attract the reader’s attention even when using a preview panel to preview emails before opening them in full.
- Try adjustments to things like the type of content, the tone of the subject line and the email layout or design to encourage more link clicks and less unsubscribes.
- State on your signup form how frequently your newsletters are and include a sample of a previous campaign.